Wednesday, May 6, 2009

"It keeps you running, yeah it keeps you running"

Ok, so I was totally inspired to get back into running after Jason Eads completed his goal of running from the St. Louis area to his parents house in Bentonville, AR. He ran well over 300 miles. Awesome is the only word you can say.

It got me thinking about me and my running. I really enjoy running: the slap of running shoes on the pavement, finding the right breathing rhythm, the random songs that play in your head to keep you going. My all time favorite to play in my mind is "Dirt Off you Shoulder" by Jay-Z. I'm not the world's best runner by any means. I'm proud to say I did complete the running leg of a triathlon that I ran with my brother Jason and Nathan. I also ran with some teacher friends at Cooper after school which was a great way to shake off the day of craziness that usually went on.

I haven't been running since before I got knocked up with Sidney in November of 07. I decided now's the time. Nathan's being a great Dad/Husband/BFF because after Sid goes to sleep he's on call in case she wakes up while I hit the streets. My first day to run was today. Jester and I ran from our house up two streets, through the neighborhood, and back. I didn't walk once. Not sure how far it was or how long it took me, but I did it!!!

Here's my goal: Racing the Chile Pepper Run on October 17th. This is a 10K run (little over 6 miles)!! I'm so ready to sign up. Jason Eads was nice enough to write a training plan that begins in July. Till then, I'll be shooting for running 20 miles a week. I'm not being crazy and running a million miles a day cause I don't want to burn out or get hurt, but my goal is to be consistent and to improve. Most of all I'm going to be having a blast because this is for me. It's nice to have a little break during the day too where I don't worry about anyone, but me. It's not selfish....it's necessary.

If you're interested in running the race too or learning more about it here's the link: http://www.chilepepperfestival.org/index.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment