I hoped to get a solid eight hours of sleep, but Evan had other plans. We were up 3 or 4 times, but I didn't hit the snooze button when the alarm went off at 6. I suited up got ready and ran out the door a few minutes after 7:00. Evan was trying to catch me, but I turned over Mommy duty to Nathan.
On the way downtown Foo Fighters came on the radio. I took it as a great sign! Parking wasn't a problem which was a big relief. As I was walking to the square, I found Jason and Jaclynn. This was a surprise considering there were a couple thousand people heading to the square. This was my second sign of it being a great day. The weather was perfect, low 60s and sunny. Jaclynn and I braved the portapotty line that took 20 min (gag!!) and then we were at the start line. I ran the Susan Komen race years ago and I think there were more people at this one. The 5K and the half started at the same time, but faced other directions. While we waited for the gun, I noticed 2 people with the blue 5k bibs. They were in the wrong spot!! I tapped them on the shoulder and let them know they were fixin' to be running much farther than they intended. They hustled to the right race.
The gun went off and it was so hard not to get caught up with the swarm of people. Jaclynn and her crew took off and we were on the way. Jaclynn ended up with a PR of 2:14:05 with a pace of 10:15. She's awesome!! There was an energy that wanted to push me way faster then I needed to go. Eventually the front pack broke away and I found a pace I wanted. Mike Rush sprinted through with his video camera cheering everyone on. He started after everyone else and still finished the race in an hour and a half. Wow!!
During the run there were some awesome volunteers who cheered, made signs, and passed out cold water. They were spirit lifters along the way. Some spectators made posters too. My favorites were
"Your feet are tired because you're kicking butt!"
"Run like you stole something!"
"This is the worst parade I've ever seen!" (My favorite! There was a grumpy looking lady beside it too.)
One lady pulled her couches to her front yard with a sign that said, "You're no couch potato!" There were posters of potatoes on the couch and she was sitting there in her robe cheering. I couldn't help but smile I as I passed.
Jason mentioned that when he was done he'd try to meet me on the course. Keep in mind he ran the 5K...I mean sprinted the 5K. He ended up getting 10th overall and 2nd in his age group with a time of 22:03 and a pace of 7:07. That's someone who flew!! I head down the street by Bogle Park and low and behold there's my coach, my bro! I heard angels sing, "Hallelujah!!" He joined me at mile 7. Mile 7!!! He ran half of the race with me. I don't have the words for how grateful I am for him. He trained me, coached me, motivated me, kicked my ass, and was there with me as I finished out this crazy idea I had two years ago. He shared he had finished the 5k with Mom too! She had a PR too at 37:34 with a 12:07 pace. She was 6th in her age group. Mom, you rock!! Jason not only ran his race, but another half of a 5k and half of a half marathon!
As we ran, I took out the headphones and we both listened to my running playlist. We chatted and he kept me on pace. We waved at volunteers and people cheering (thanks, Betsy!!). The most important he kept me on track. Going downhill, he advised what to do. Taking gels, advised what to do. Filled up my water bottle for me while I kept going. He let me draft off him when we passed mile 12 and I was hurting. My mind started to turn negative and he was there putting in the positive. He made me laugh and inspired me to keep going. At the Crystal Bridges hill he pushed me after I walked the big part and said he was proud when I kept going on the second hill type part. I picked up the pace on the last stretch and he was right there with me. I can't put into words how grateful I am for him.
| Home stretch! |
| I love how he looks so calm and relaxed and I look like I want to puke. |
| This is my favorite picture. So glad Nathan captured it. |
| Yeah, baby!! I did it! |
As I was running, Nathan was at home wrangling the kiddos. This was his first time to get them up, dressed, fed, and out the door by himself. He said I needed a raise!!! WHOOHOO!! He took some great pictures of when Sidney revolted and ran around naked and Evan is laughing his face off at her. Can't post those here, but here they are dressed! I couldn't of done the race without Nathan's support. He watched the kiddos while I ran on the treadmill or hit the pavement. He was supportive and encouraging. He even said today that I have inspired him and have motivated him to want to run it next year. How exciting is that? Might need someone to watch my two lovelys because Mom's planning on doing it too!!
| Met up Gramma C and were waiting for my finish. |
| Got a tree hugger! |
| Why am I stuck in here? |
| After the race we had a big stinky runner pile. Loving all these folks. |
| He got too excited and was officially done. He's the best baby in the world. |
| Sidney loved wearing my medal. I loved the free water and pizza. |
I'm really proud of accomplishing this goal I set for myself. I couldn't have done it without my wonderful family. I hope I inspire other people too. If you're thinking, "there's no way I could do that," you're wrong. In July I weighed 223 pounds and was giving birth to a baby after a pregnancy where the only physical activity I had was getting out of bed and going to the fridge to eat. I've lost over 50lbs without starving myself. I have never been a super star athlete or runner. I spent most of my basketball career on the bench. In track in Junior High the Coach made me run the 800 (that's two laps around the track). I can still hear Christina say, "We'll be fine. As long as we don't come in last." I came in dead last. So much the last runner that they were setting up the next race and I wasn't finished with the 800. So last I had to swerve around the people working the meet. So last it would have been less embarrassing to just walk off the track and go sit down. I finished anyways. I'm proud to tell that Junior High girl who had tears from being so humiliated that I kicked ass at this race. I didn't win, but I finished and I'm hella proud of myself. Can't wait to run the Zombie run in August and the Chile Pepper run in October. Maybe I'll even do this race again next year. I need a PR!!
So very proud of my lindsay!! Congratulations- so inspiring!!! Next year, when you and nathan run, I will bring all of our children to support yal! I cannot wait to be there wranglin' all our kids!!
ReplyDeleteTremendous work, Lindsay! CONGRATULATIONS! I'm really impressed with your effort and results. Thanks for sharing your story. What's the next adventure?
ReplyDeleteMaybe this one http://www.wareagletrailraces.com/War_Eagle_Trail_Races/Home.html . Definitely this one http://runforyourlives.com/overview-st-louis-mo/ . And for sure this one http://www.chilepepperfestival.org/ !!! Thanks!!
Delete