Thursday, June 7, 2012

Editing the Bible....

Sidney is at the age when she is super curious about everything.  I love that!  The questions are impressive.  Her desire to learn and try new things is inspiring.  Lately she's been really interested in the Bible.  We read it at times with breakfast.  We read out of my pink one from when I was baptized and confirmed in Middle School. Evan got a Bible for Toddlers when he was baptized.  Sidney found it in his closet and we began to read out of it.  It was short and sweet with super cute cartoons.  I ended up putting it away though because she was being a bit rough with it bending and almost tearing pages.  I did help her find her Bible for Children that her Granny and Papa got her for Christmas when she was one.  We started reading it last night.  She's enjoying it very much.  The stories are longer, and the drawings are more realistic.  Still cartoons, but not everyone is smiling in this one.  As I'm reading it, I'm realizing it is for an older audience.  The Bible is full of violent tales, especially in the Old Testament, with killings, beatings, and all sorts of examples as to why you should fear God's wrath.  I know God is a God of love, but some of those stories are really scary.  So, I'm editing the Bible.  Nathan says that's bad.  I don't know that it is because we aren't to the New Testament yet when we hear about Jesus' message about how much God loves and He forgives.  I just don't want to scare Sidney and have her be turned off from the message as soon as she's becoming more interested.  I'm not skipping stories, just changing words regarding death and destruction.  I think the message is still there.  I know the picture of Moses burying the dead guard in the sand is still there.  Really??? They had to draw that.  Sure it looks like he's sleeping, but the words are telling you he's burying someone he just killed.
We are continuing studying the Bible together for sure, I'm just giving her a lighter version.  Is that bad?  Should I read it word for word?  Three is such a hard age because she's not technically a toddler, but she's not a kid, kid.  I just love her to pieces and want to keep her sheltered as long as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment