Saturday, January 23, 2010

RIP Sparky

Water leaked onto our kitchen floor off and on that past few weeks. The culprit? Dog dripping water from his bowl? Ice melting in the floor? Droplets of water from doing dishes? Turns out it was from our fridge. A little water doesn't seem like a big deal. Tonight I stepped my foot into a puddle that soaked the bottom leg of my pjs. This was a big deal! As I sopped up the water that covered a large portion of the kitchen floor, I followed the trail of H2O to the freezer side of the fridge. Open it up, low and behold a melting glacier under the bottom part of the freezer.
Replay:
"Nathan, there's a ton of water from the freezer! Somethings wrong."
Nathan removes the drawer in the freezer. Snap, Snap, POP!
"Honey," this is me, "What is that noise?"
"Oh, it's just the popping of the bags of veggies." Sizzle, Sizzle, SIZZLE!!
"Uh, no....look!" Nathan bends down to see what I'm seeing, an orange glow coming from the back of the freezer. SIZZLE!
Wide eyed, "I think those are sparks being put out by the cold of the freezer," Nathan says to me.
"Uh, yeah....problem!"
Fast forward one hour later: three trash bags of condiments, left overs, and stuff that just won't get eaten are in the trash, the beer fridge has now become a food fridge, my school fridge that kinda doesn't stay closed all the way has the condiments that are left, and we're quickly drinking beers so they don't get hot. Needless to say we need to go do some shopping tomorrow after church.

We should have taken pictures of the counters covered with food or of old Sparky, our refrigerator of nine years, sparking at us. The one good pic we have is of Sonny who has decided he has conquered Sparky and wants to stay on top of it now. He meowed like a lion on top of his prey.

As you can tell, Sonny has fully recovered from his bladder surgery and is feeling like his old self. We are all grateful. I also got accepted into Graduate school. We're grateful for that too. Finally, I'm so grateful for Nathan. He's truly my best friend. After all the fridge stress, he said, "Even cleaning out the broken fridge is fun with you." :)

1 comment:

  1. I thought that Sparky was a new pet that past. Sorry that the fridge is gone. Missing you guys!

    ReplyDelete