Sunday, June 20, 2010

Making a Change

I'm officially off of school for a week.  This is my vacation between classes.  I start Theories of Instruction soon enough.  Since I've been done with my class since Wednesday night at 10:00 I've been doing some thinking.  I've been evaluating how I spend my time and what I accomplish.  I really enjoy being a stay at home mom.  I love seeing my daughter experience new discoveries without them occurring at daycare under someone else's watchful eye.  The hard part about being a Stay at Home Mom (SAHM) is the down time...nap time, early bed time, Dora time, and before she wakes up time.  As I'm looking at how my time is spent, I'm wasting sooooo much time.  (Again, not talking about the one on one time w/ Sid).

I admit it, I love to sleep in.  I've never been a morning person.  I've taken personality tests that prove it, it's just not me.  Normally Sid wakes up when Nathan's getting up and about in the morning, 6:45ish, so I get up when I hear her on the monitor and we hit the ground running.  Sidney's been way sick with strep, cough, and cold so she's been sleeping in and so have I...till like 8:45.  I don't know why the laundry is not done!  I have got to start setting my alarm and getting up before her, even if she does switch back to the 6:45 soon, so I can get some stuff done!  I used to get up at 5:55 for work.  I know it's possible.  That was even before I liked coffee!!!

I can also say the lines to most Dora's and Sesame Streets.  I don't let Sid watch much TV, but she gets a couple Dora's or a SS a day.  I don't know why I feel I have to sit down and watch them with her.  I'm not even watching that closely, usually I'm wasting time on Facebook during the programs (that's a whole other story).  I sometimes am good about doing dishes or picking up while it's on, but overall, not so much.  I do a good job of fixing dinner while she's watching it so that's a plus.
During nap time, I crash.  I'm either cramming in school work, ironing, or I let myself have some me time which turns into spending too much time playing Cafe World (lame, oh I know! I still do it), playing Words with Friends, or watching TV.  Yes, I know we all need down time and a break, but if I were to watch the clock on some days and track my time I would be embarrassed to show anyone.

At night after Sid goes to bed you can find me on the computer on the couch in front of the TV hanging out.  I admit I do cherish this time cause it's one of the few moments Nathan and I can catch up, but I could be catching up while doing something more productive.

What do I think I need to be doing?  I have a whole to do list and I'd like to's written on paper and in my head.  There's the normal: cleaning, laundry, organizing closets (Scary!), cleaning the garage, paying bills, setting up the office, storing Sid's clothes that are too small, yard work, gardening, cleaning out my car, exercising regularly (I have done a good job on staying on my race training plan), putting clean sheets on the bed (there aren't any sheets on our bed at the moment, but there will be before we got to bed), the normal.  There's the extra: scrap booking, finishing Sidney's cross stitch quilt, reading, writing, getting a new query letter out to potential agents, writing in Sid's journal, finishing her baby book, learning to sew, mailing a present to a friend I've had for far too long, printing off pictures and getting new frames to put them in, decorating the house, decorating the porch.  The list goes on and on.  If I could find all my random to do lists I could put them on here.

Long story short, I'm making a change this week.  You will not find me on Facebook as often.  I'm going to let my food spoil in the Cafe (seriously, why do I care?), I may be delayed in returning the Words with Friends turn, and if you hear someone fighting their alarm clock, that'll be me.  I'm tired of feeling guilty for not getting more accomplished.  Nathan works so hard at his job to provide for us.  I know I work really hard at being a great mom to Sid.  I just need to get this house wife stuff straight.  I'm not on summer break.   This is my full time, never ending, job and I need to get better at it.  I can't get fired, but if I make a change surely I'll feel better about myself.  Any suggestions for managing your SAHM or SAHD time efficiently would be greatly appreciated!!!

Here are a couple of website I had recommended to me.  Check them out.  You'll be amazed at what some women get done.  There's Money Saving Mom which is all about saving money at home.  This lady gets money from stores when she uses coupons!! There's also the Happy Housewife.  This gal cooked potatoes all day to freeze them and have dishes later.  Nathan said he would think I'd lost my mind if he came home and I had twenty pounds of potatoes cooked in various forms.  :)

I may sound frustrated, but I promise I am happy and know it's all worth it.  Here are some pics of the kiddo from her Easter shoot.  If you need a good photographer, I recommend Eryn Salley.  She took these and we had a blast.  Click here for her site.


No comments:

Post a Comment