So, I got my news! It's great!! Backstory first:
I had a lump in my right boob that had been there for awhile. The doctor could never feel it so she finally said, "Let's get a mammogram so you can quit worrying about it." Great! I say, Let's do it. I get a mammogram. This is a trip. A huge machine with flat plastic panels squeezes, pushes, and smashes you flat. Not the most fun contraption ever invented, but not terribly painful. After that proceudre they want to do an ultrasound just to make sure they are seeing everything. Turns out I wasn't crazy, there was defitenlty a lump. I feel better knowing that something was there. Nurse informs me that the radiologist wants to have a biopsy. He describes it as nothing to be scared of becaue the lump wasn't terribly misformed, or spikey. It was a solid mass. I had to meet with the surgeon in the next week.
After meeting with the surgeon Nathan and I felt so much better about the procedure. It was called a Mammotome. The surgeon uses the ultrasound machine to find the mass then he makes a tiny incision and uses an instrument to remove it so it can be sent off to see what it is. The other option was surgery where they put you out and seemed so much more intense. The surgeon said he was 98% sure the results would come back great. We felt better, but were still stressing.
I had the procedure on the 2nd. Got to take some Valium to be calm otherwise I never would have got in the car. Usually I'm a pretty chill person, but I do get overly anxious at doctors or dentists appointments. Needless to say I was calm and carefree on the drive there. The procedure went great! I got to listen to my IPod. They were done after three songs. Not too shabby. Afterwards I had to have another mammogram. Not fun after having minor surgery, but I survived. The worst part of it was when the nurse told me I couldn't pick up Sidney till Tuesday! What???! That should have been discussed from the getgo. Poor girl, Sid couldn't understand why Mommy wouldn't hold her for so many days. Luckily Nathan, my mom, and my mother in law helped out a ton.
Of course I was way anxious waiting on the results. My grandma on my Dad's side had breast cancer so I was really worried about this result. They didn't call all weekend or Monday, so finally Tuesday morning I called them. The lady says, "No cancer!" I say, "Yea and thank God!" Such a relief! Can't tell you how stressed I really was about the whole thing. Met with the surgeon for a follow up on Wednesday and he said everything looked good and I was a great patient. The second mammogram did find another lump. He's 99.9999% sure it'll be like the one they already took out so we decided to do a follow up mammogram in six months to make sure it hasn't changed any.
You're probably wondering, "Why did I find out on this blog and not from you directly?" Nathan and I decided that we didn't want to tell anyone because we didn't want anyone else stressing out, worrying, or sharing cancer stories (not that everyone would, but you know you don't want to hear scary stories when you're scared about something). We thought it would be easier to tell people once there was something to tell. Now that we know there's nothing wrong, I feel better sharing my experience. It's kinda like when we decided we were going to try for a baby. We didn't want anyone to know because we didn't want people to ask questions, share scary preggo stories, or really be involved with our own private decision. So again you're asking, "Why are you blogging about it?" I just wanted to share my experience. It's a lot that's gone the last month. If I've seen distracted and flakey, this is why. At least it's done now and the appt in October will go great. That's my news. :)
OMG! I am so stressed out just reading this. I am so very glad that you are alright, you will be at the top of my prayer list to make sure that all will be okay in the future. Hate that you had to go through this, but so glad that God was keeping you safe. I love you so!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing! I'm glad that everything turned out okay, and I'm glad that you pushed forward with having it checked out! A lot of docs would say "you're too young, etc etc" but you did GREAT with it!
ReplyDelete