Tuesday, May 17, 2011

FlyLady

To know me is to know that my strengths are not organizing and cleaning.  I don't live in filth, but clutter doesn't seem to bother me until I can't find something important like Sidney or the cat.  I've been wanting to change my ways for a long time because when the mess does get to me I feel overwhelmed, don't know where to start, and get quite down on myself.  I worry I'm not a good mom, a good house wife, and that I'm taking for granted staying home while Nathan works his tail off and financially provides for our family.  Now that school is done, I'm ready to take all the energy and time I've spent on grad school and put the time to improving myself.  I want to have the house straight so I'm not embarrassed if someone randomly shows up.  I want to feel good about a nice, clean home where I know where most things are (I'm trying to be a bit of a realist here!).  I just need to start new habits.
In the past I would have a crazy cleaning frenzy time where I busted my hump to get everything straight, organized, and clean.  I would end up being totally exhausted and the next day the house would explode again.  After searching online for tips on cleaning and organizing, I came across a website called Flylady.  This site has it all when it comes to getting it together and it does so in a funny, laid back way.  There are baby steps in the getting started section on how to change a little daily without having to have the freak out cleaning frenzy.  Sign me up!
I started the steps today.  Today's step was to clean the kitchen sink.  That's it!  Here's how to do it.  I figured I have to start somewhere.  Why not here?

I woke up early to soak my sink in bleach.  I was waaaay excited to this.  After all the steps were complete, check out how clean it is below!
Holy taledo!  That's a clean sink!!  Can you see the shine from space?  I feel so great about this clean sink.  I should be this excited about finishing my master's, but I may be more proud of the clean sink.  I've been obsessively wiping it down after every use.  I can't wait to go through the rest of the steps to a new me.  I'm really going to enjoy the cheesy steps too.  Now some steps are so tiny I plan to combine days, but I do plan to embrace changing and building new habits that will help me feel better about my job as a housewife.  Do you want to get started on it too?  Check it out here.  I'll be updating my progress (not daily) and will share how it goes.  Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment