When I was 29, I ran my first 10k race, the Chile Pepper Run in Fayetteville. I half assed trained for it by focusing more on excuses to not do my long runs than following the training plan I made for myself on Runner's World. My brother, who is one of the most amazing athletes that I know, was so supportive and ran with me. My time was 1:09:21.24. Jason being the competitor that he is did beat me at 1:09:21.13. Tears flooded my eyes as I crossed the finish line because I finished something I had set out to do. I am quite talented at deciding I want to do something, starting it, and then hoping no one brings it up months later as I have given it up. Not this time!
After the race, I was determined to take it to the next level! Within that week I signed up for the first ever Bentonville Half Marathon. I ran a 10k...why not 13 miles? I was ready to begin training without excuses and doing it to it! Fast forward to my 30th birthday, yes the exact day, I am stepping off a curb at the Fitness Center holding a 15 and a half month old Sidney in my arms, and I jack up my back. Big time. I almost go down on my knees. The only thing stopping me was the fear of breaking her pretty head. I limp to the car crying and cursing because I'm officially old and falling apart. Needless to say my training ended as did my hopes of running the half marathon because of a pulled back (can't remember exact diagnosis, but I do remember it hurt forever!!).
I ran the Chile Pepper again in 2010. This time Jason and Jaclynn raced their own pace which I was thankful for because I felt bad super hero runner man Jason had such a bad time because he was being my motivator during the race the year before. My time improved to 1:08:17.90! Jason's improved mucho to 48:35.50 (damn, boy!). Jaclynn had a PR for her first time too at 1:01:52.88! I love this race because it's a mix of all fitness levels. I knew I wanted to do it in 2011.
Come October of 2011, I had had Evan in July. My view of being pregnant is to not workout...at all except for running around after a 2 year old and to sprint to the toilet as to not puke on said 2 year old. I was in no shape to run due to lack of training. J&J raced though and did amazing (Jason 46:43.2. Couldn't find Jaclynn's time. Maybe she didn't run either!)
Since Evan's birth I knew I had to get back in shape (Hello!! Gained 45 pounds. Whew!). Having a race to focus on was the way to do it. My bro (who completed his first half iron man in 2011!!) took the time to create a plan that has me running four times a week, strength training, and stretching. I committed myself to following the plan and have adhered to it! I'm on schedule which makes me proud because again I'm known for not finishing things I start. I lagged a bit around November/December but made up for it.
I have never run this much or this far in my life! Did 8 miles a few weeks ago and have 9 miles to do on Wednesday. I have never run this fast ever. I ran a couple under 10 minute miles on a run with J&J. I'm thrilled to keep going.
Nervously, I signed up for the half marathon. My name is on the roster again. The difference this time is I'm running it. I'm doing it...for reals. I'm avoiding injury (fingers crossed, knock on wood, praying to God!!) this time and can't wait. It'll be a PR for me since I have no PR to compare it to!! Pretty excited!
My next race after the half? The Chile Pepper run. I want my PR to be closer or under the hour mark this time! Check out race info for the half here or the Chile Pepper here. Maybe you should sign up too!
No comments:
Post a Comment