Sunday, September 19, 2010

Welcome to the Safari! It's located in Gentry!

Sing the title as if you're Axel Rose of Guns and Roses.  You'll rock out!!

Nathan took the day off on Friday so we could visit the Safari.  Nathan hadn't been since Jr. High.  I've only gone once in college when I volunteered at the Women's Shelter and we took the kids there for the day.  Sidney, obviously, had never been.  Needless to say we were all excited to go and we weren't disappointed.

We took the scenic route through Centerton and Decatur to arrive to the home of the Safari, Gentry!  The downtown strip had the American flags flapping in the breeze, welcoming us to Smalltown, USA.  We pulled up to the Safari and the sign reminded us in huge, bold letters NO PETS ALLOWED, NO EXCEPTIONS!  I was glad we left the boys at home.  We paid the $20 to get in and the attendant explained the park, the four mile safari drive, and the petting areas.  She reminded us not to feed the animals on the safari drive.  "People have lost fingers feeding those animals before," she says with the straightest most serious face I've seen in a while. Good to know, windows up and doors locked for good measure!

We decide to drive the safari first.  Nathan and I are giddy as we see pigs and hogs!  We remind Sidney to look out the window, but aren't sure about her view.  Here's ours:
He's so cute!  Worth the money right there.  
This emu sauntered up to the side across from Sidney.  He wanted to check her out as much as we wanted to check him out.
We round the curve and see this enormous buffalo scratching himself against the tree.  I don't know if the tree was leaning when he started.  

He was as big as the car.  The road went right by him so we had to get really close as we drove by.  Nathan stopped the car right in front of him.  We all kind of stared at each other.  Nathan took a picture and I said a prayer that it didn't flash in the buffalo's face.  I just got $2100 dollars of damage repaired to that side of the car and I'm not sure what the buffalo's insurance would cover!
Pretty sure she's plotting her escape here.
Look closely at the sign.  It says "Cougar."  Look closely at the animal.  It's a donkey.  Hmmm....something doesn't quite add up.
After awhile, we couldn't tell if Sidney was enjoying the ride and really able to see all the animals, especially since her view was obscured by my seat.  Nathan pulled over so I could get her out of the car seat (breaking the law, breaking the law).  I wanted her to ride in my lap.  It wasn't like we were speeding through the safari we paid for and traffic was nil except for herds of deer.  I figured he could navigate.   I didn't even think about it.  Nathan stopped the car.  I hopped out, grabbed Sid out of the back, and hopped back in the front. HELLO!!  WE ARE ON A SAFARI OF WILD ANIMALS!!  No uncaged animals were around, that we could see, so I was safe.  Funny thing was this mountain lion that's above, that I keep calling a puma, was in his cage and started stalking me!  He had been dozing on his tire swing and as soon as I opened the door he started pacing back and forth really fast..  Pretty sure he was looking for an opening in the cage got come get me.  Probably didn't help the situation that I chased down an ATM receipt that flew out of the car before I got Sidney out.  Not the best idea I've ever had.  Thank you fence for doing your job.

Now that Sidney had a great view like we did, we were ready to continue on the Team Adams' safari!  We came upon some zebras and they welcomed our black car into their herd.  They walked with us a-ways until we came upon a hay trough.
Baby zebra!
Sidney loved riding in Mommy's lap and seeing "all da animals!"  
Our safari navigator, focused and keeping his eye out for savage beasts.  You never know what you'll find.
What we did find was this guy!  A llama!!  Nathan crept up a steep hill in the car slowly and quietly.  The llama didn't move except for his ears twitching.  We parked right by him and he turned his head and smiled.  Pretty sure he's hammed it up for the camera before.  Doesn't he look like an old man?
The white one needed attention too!
You would not believe the number of emus on the property.  They were the most curious animals and I'm pretty sure they were the ones who had helped "people lose a finger" before.  This one kept pecking on the window, begging Nathan to open it.  It drooled all over the car!
While his buddy was distracting us by going behind the car, this one snuck up on Sidney and I.  It cocked his head and stared at us with his eerie yellow eyes.  Felt too much like Jurassic Park for me.  Sidney screamed because it scared her.  Emu didn't even flinch.  WE have so many pictures of these creepos.  They're awesome!
Sidney kept yelling at the animals to "Move! Move!" whenever they were in the road.  These guys didn't budge.  Nathan did some off-roading to go around them.  She hollered at deer, camels, cows, emus, anything that was on our path.
This is one of my favorite pictures of the trip.  Four emu butts.  We made it right during feeding time.  Couldn't have timed it better.  Looks like it should be on a card.  
Speaking of telling animals to move.  This guy flat out refused.  We were centimeters away from him. Wouldn't budge out of the road.  We had to off road around him too.  Pretty sure he cussed at us in long horn language, whatever that may be.  
Take a moment and read the sign that was in front of the tiger cages.  
So pretty!
This is teasing him a little with the mowers.  
Sidney wanted to poke the rhinoceros.  We didn't' think it was the best idea.  She kept saying, "Poke it!  Poke it!" 
We got to watch the hippo during feeding time.  He tried to bum rush the feed truck.  I have never seen anything so scary.  He had his huge mouth open and rushed at the fence.  It was pretty cool to watch him eat after the truck left.  He ate more grain then I've ever seen in one mouthful.
After the safari tour, we had a picnic lunch.  This is me shooing away the flies.  
Nathan thought he was funny when he fed bread to a random rooster walking by.  He was our friend for the remainder of lunch and followed us to the petting area.  Look for the petting area post next!

No comments:

Post a Comment